Tuesday, April 23, 2013

IC Podcast challenge, April. Landspeeder Vengeance. And a Darkshroud.

Previously on "For The Limey"...  you'll remember that I built and magnetised (think I'm hungry, I almost typed baconised) two Darkshroud/Vengeance kits. This month I painted them, and I got them finished about this time last week too, so I'm already ahead of the game for my May/June/July commitments which are all Deathwing thanks to some batch airbrushing today.

Not much to tell on them really - I used the same techniques I used on the other Ravenwing models. Block in the metallics and reds then wash with the airbrush. The statuary bits were easy to paint.  Some codex grey, badab black and a fortress grey drybrush was applied to the stonework.  The bronze/gold sort of bits were a Balthasar Gold base (love that paint. It's so hot right now) with an Earthshade wash and a Shining Gold highlight. Easy. One of these days I'll get around to trying the Golden Brown metallic wash from Secret Weapon - this would have been perfect.  Ah hindsight, you mad thing.

As usual I used Mithril Silver and inks for the buttons.  Shiny! P3 CoaL Black for screens.

The stained glass was a second try success.  I originally went for a white/silver mix for the base with inks on the top but it looked like this. Which was crap. 

It didn't work as it suggested there was light on the inside making the colours of the glass stand out, which just wasn't working for me.  So I went over with white and got the Hawk Turquoise out and mixed with some other stuff that I just can't remember.  I couldn't reproduce it if I tried!  I'm happier with this. Sorry for the dark picture

I didn't paint the glass next to the pilot - it was too fiddly to get in there so it's just black. Meh. And then I did the rest of the work and clearcoated them and now they look like this. I look forward to playing with them!

My May commitment is just the new Belial model.  I cut his sandwich board off as I think it's rather impractical. See you next time. 

Friday, April 5, 2013

IC podcast - March! Nephilim and Dark Talon pt 3

It's been a month since I posted - blame it on my Dark Passenger.  Oh my god this new keyboard's awful.  It's like a chimpanzee trying to text with his lips.

So anyway, I got the Nephilim finished.  I actually finished about three weeks ago but I procrastinated on the postings until I got the Dark Talon finished and then it was all OH! SHINY! with X-Wing and a Dakkajet for WAAAGH! Hamish, and some gargoyles for Hive Fleet Limey (dead blog, don't go there).

I progressed through the usual painting that I do on anything Ravenwing after I got the wings done. I was actually worried that anything else I did would detract from the amazingness that is the paint job on the wings but it turned out well.  I did some random stuff with the stone bits on the Dark Talon and while they didn't turn out looking like the ones on the box, they match the scheme of the army so I'm happy with that.  There was some codex grey and a wash and some random drybrushing and stuff. It's all good.

I had some fun with the clear plastic and blue painters' tape!  I carefully applied the tape then burnished it along the frame with the back end of a brush, then trimmed away the portions I didn't require with a fresh #11 knife blade.  Then I sprayed with Chaos Black and sealed with clear flat.  Hey presto!  Kids - don't forget to mask the BACK of the plastic too or you've wasted your time.  I ordered a spare one from Bits and Kits in the UK.  It arrived broken, they won't reply to emails.  It's a Paypal claim now.  Buyer beware! I managed anyway and they're all complete.


One thing I don't like about highlighting fortress grey is that it shows up almost white with my camera!  The highlighting you see in the following picture is actually quite subtle but the light and the lens and the stuff makes it look like I just went along everything white a white paint stick.  The picture is actually supposed to show you the pilot glued in place with the cockpit detailed. 

I use Mithril Silver and coloured inks for the lights and buttons.  I like it. Then I used Weldbond carpenters glue to affix the glass.  You all know not to use plastic cement or superglue unless you like frosting and ruination. White glue works to an extent but Weldbond sticks like poo on a blanket. I ran a bead along the glass, put it in place.  Then I put a blob on that weird piece that goes over the glass at the back.  The nose piece I actually stuck in place with two part epoxy from the dollar store.  Costs me $1.25 (yeah, from a dollar store) for a tube and does the job very well thank you. 

So anyway, they're both done. I did my usual basing scheme and kept it simple. Lots of grass makes for a nice contrast to the flyer. I'm very happy with them and I'm looking forward to using them sometime soon! This weekend is a 40K tournament at Trumpeter's Salute in Burnaby BC.  I'm taking my 'nids because I'm not going to win.  I'll also be taking X Wing to play afterwards.  I need practice - I'd better go bullseye some Womp rats.